Bob Bartell, CFA is a managing director and global head of the Duff & Phelps Corporate Finance business unit and CEO of Duff & Phelps Securities, LLC, a FINRA registered broker/dealer. Prior to his current role, Bob managed the firm’s Fairness and Solvency Opinions practice and founded the firm’s first PE Financial Sponsor Coverage (FSG) team. Bob joined Duff & Phelps in 1997. He specializes in a broad array of corporate finance engagements, including fairness and solvency opinions, M&A advisory, financial restructuring, ESOPs, shareholder disputes and private placements.
Bob has extensive experience in cross-border M&A transactions. Between 2008 through 2010, Bob worked in the U.K. in the firm’s London, England office and helped grow the firm’s European corporate finance practice through a combination of acquisitions and strategic hires. Bob has advised on a number of going-private transactions involving Chinese, French, Canadian and Brazilian companies listed on public stock exchanges.
Prior to joining Duff & Phelps in 1997, Bob worked in the commercial banking department at BMO Harris from 1993 to 1997. Bob holds an MBA from The University of Chicago Booth School of Business and a BS in Agricultural Economics from the University of Illinois-Champaign. He is a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Charterholder and holds the FINRA Series 7, 79, 24 and 63 licenses. Bob is currently a member of The Economic Club of Chicago, The Chicago Club and The Chicago Commonwealth Club. He is also a national board of director of Camp Kesem, a nationwide community, driven by passionate college student leaders, that supports children through and beyond their parent’s cancer.
A few of Bob's recent corporate finance and financial restructuring engagements include:
- Advised the Board of Directors of Elanco Animal Health and rendered a fairness opinion in connection with its acquisition of Bayer AG’s animal health business.
- Financial advisor in connection with rendering a fairness opinion to the board of directors of Johnson Controls International plc, a diversified global industrials company, in connection with the sale of its Power Solutions business (n/k/a Clarios, LLC), a global automotive battery business, to Brookfield Business Partners L.P.
- Appointed as the independent valuation expert by LyondellBasell NV (LBI) as Debtor in connection with its motion to seek approval of its eight billion USD debtor-in-possession (DIP) financing by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court Southern District of Manhattan (LBI was the largest post-petition DIP loan ever approved in U.S. bankruptcy court);
- Rendered fairness and solvency opinions to numerous alternative asset managers including Oaktree Capital Management, Citadel, Sun Capital, SK Capital, KKR, Och-Ziff, Terra Firma, Terra Firma, Ontario Teachers, The Carlyle Group, Apollo, Silver Lake Capital;
- Member of Duff & Phelps review team that advised Elizabeth Warren, Chair, of the Congressional Oversight Panel analyzing the question surrounding the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) as to whether the U.S. Department of the Treasury's (Treasury) policy of injecting cash into financial institutions had resulted in a fair deal for taxpayers
- Advised the ESOP Trustee in connection with the ESOP's purchase of the stock of KLJ Solutions, an engineering services firm based in North Dakota;
- Advised the special committee of independent directors of Ridgewood Power in connection with its sale of its U.K. clean power renewable energy assets to an affiliate of Macquarie;
- Restructuring advisor to Citigroup and JP Morgan as junior debt holders in connection with the financial restructuring of Schoeller Arca, NV based in the Netherlands;
- Rendered a fairness opinion to the ESOP Trustee of the Verisk Analytics, Inc. ESOP, in connection with the ESOP's sale of shares in the Verisk IPO (Verisk was the largest US IPO of 2009);
- Rendered a fairness opinion to the Board of Directors of French stock exchange-listed Lacie in connection with its acquisition of Swiss-based Caledio;
- Rendered a solvency opinion to board of directors of Hill-Rom in connection with the spin-off of Batesville Casket;
- Advised the board of directors of Sara Lee Corporation in connection with the leveraged spin-off of Hanesbrand Apparel;
- Advised the board of directors of Fortune Brands in connection with its spin-offs and divestitures of its golf and building products units;
- Sell-side M&A advisor to Peer Bearing Company, a family-owned business, and its China and Thailand operations in connection with its sale to Sweden's SKF AB;
- Sell-side M&A advisor to Clear Pack Company in connection with its sale to Sonoco Products Company;
- Sell-side M&A advisor to Marlin Firearmsrms Company in connection with its sale to Remington Arms Company;
- Buy-side M&A advisor to a private investment company in connection with its acquisition of Continental Midland/Jacobson Fasters from Alcoa and sell-side M&A advisor to Continental Midland in connection with its sale to Monomoy Capital, a PE fund;
- Rendered a fairness opinion to KKR in connection with the related-fund financial restructurings of ATU GmbH, a German-based car parts and service station chain, and KION GmbH, a German-based material handling company;
- Rendered a going-concern BEV opinion to Terra Firma in connection with the recapitalization of Tank & Rast, a German motorway service operator and its sale of a 50% stake to Deutsche Bank; and
- Rendered a fairness opinion to the board of directors of Compass Diversified Trust in connection with its IPO of its permanent PE capital vehicle listed on the NYSE.